Monday, May 18, 2009

My Lost article for Books & Culture

Over the weekend, I finished writing a review of Lost for Books & Culture, and it ended up being one of the most difficult pieces I've ever written.

Originally, it was over 3,000 words, and I cut it down to less than 1,200 by the time I was done. My goal was to review the five seasons of Lost in a way that would make it appealing to those who don't watch the show (including BC's sophisticated demographic) and interesting for those of us who do watch it religiously. At the same time, I tried not to spoil anything significant for those potential newcomers—which is what made the writing process so difficult. I let the time travel cat out of the bag (a little bit) and I mentioned a few names, but other than that, the piece is pretty much spoiler-free.

If you'd like to read it, here's the link:

Not Too Late to Find Lost

And you can check back later this week (maybe tomorrow) for a brief recap of the finale and then even later this week, I'll be recapping the highlights of the entire fifth season, and including the questions that we'll be pondering for the next nine months.

More soon!

4 comments:

Barbie said...

Still waiting on that summary! :)

inerthia said...

Thank you for that great review!

There are a lot of great adventure novels that take place in an island. I think LOST may also be a tribute to writers like Stevenson, Verne, Wells,... and a great example of how good adventure stories can reach the general public (not only childish).

I really love this amazing mixture of phylosophy, psychology, sci-fi, pop-culture, adventure... and drama elements, and can't forget that quote of Borges, "Literature is nothing more than a guided dream." [In fact, I think there is in LOST a clear "borgian connection" but it would be too hard to explain for me with my poor english. I encourage you to find it!!]

Thank you again and
hasta siempre!!!

inerthia said...

A trail......
Jorge Luis Borges wrote in the prologue... "To classify it (the novel) as perfect is neither an imprecision nor a hyperbole."

Tyler Charles said...

inerthia,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm glad you enjoyed my review.

Thanks for directing me toward the "borgian connection." I'll have to dig into that a bit.

If nothing else, maybe I should pick up a copy of The Invention of Morel.

I enjoyed your comments; come back any time. :)