Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Christianity vs. Islam Part 3


This is my third (and final) post on this subject, but I want to let the reader know that I'm still trying to figure this out. So if my words don't sound very definitive, it's because I'm still searching for understanding.

This is where my deliberation has brought me so far:

I think most people want to sacrifice something. They want to contribute. Christianity, as it is often presented, doesn't ask for anything other than belief. (The requests for money come later.) But when people choose to commit to something, I think they want the result to be something tangible.

And this finally leads me to Islam.

Here are some basic requirements of the Islamic faith:

Muslims must:

1) Pray 5 times a day facing Mecca.

2) Observe the "Zakat," which is essentially mandatory tithing.

3) Fast from dawn to dusk during the month of Ramadan.

4) Go on a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once before they die.


At first glance, Islam clearly demands more than just belief from its followers. And I think these requirements might appeal to people who feel like their life is missing something.

Now, I don't think this argument applies to those who have felt called by the Holy Spirit, by those who have felt God's presence. Because I think these people understand the realness of the Christian God. And their commitment (I think) will stem from this understanding.

But as for that person who feels their life is missing something... Let's pretend this person goes to a Christian church and hears a message about "all you have to do is believe." And they think about it for a moment and decide they don't believe yet. Furthermore, they had been looking for something to tangibly fill their time, to fully establish their new commitment. And "just believe" doesn't do it. But Islam on the other hand demands five prayers facing Mecca every day. That's tangible. This person can convert to Islam, and they can do their best to fill a void in their life by doing all the things required by Islam.

And they can be proud of their commitment, proud of their devotion, proud to have something tangible to prove their new faith.

I'm not sure this is how it works, but I think it's possible.

*****

In the May issue of Christianity Today, Mark Galli examined the expanding religious freedoms in Vietnam ("A New Day In Vietnam"). While his article emphasized the hope that exists now that the Vietnamese government has eased away from its history of religious persecution, I found my attention drawn to one sentence in his article:

"Dac Lak, a center of persecution just a few years ago, is now the center of church growth."

Galli was just showing how much has changed, and how positive the change is. But I think this sentence is also evidence of something bigger. I think it suggests that people want to commit to something that demands sacrifice, something that goes beyond belief.

A persecuted church can't preach a "just believe and everything will be great" message. If they do, it will still sound like this: "Just believe in Jesus, and you'll get to heaven...but be prepared to endure hell on earth first."

And there's no doubting the commitment necessary to exhibit faith in the face of adversity.

So what am I saying Christian churches should do? Institute mandatory prayer times and a journey to Bethlehem? No. Am I saying that we would be better off if all Christian churches suffered persecution? No.

I just think we need to quit putting a smile on every message from the pulpit. Some of Jesus' messages were pretty intense, and they weren't just about how great everything would be if we believe in him. As I wrote before, when we preach "just believe and be saved" messages, I think we sound like we're hiding something. And this might turn people away. I think this same message might also deter those who come to church looking for a tangible commitment to fill a void in their life. And they might turn away before they actually experience the realness of a relationship with Jesus.

I think we can learn something from Islam, a religion that demands commitment, a religion that doesn't try to plaster a happy face on every message.

Instead of the fake, "nothing but daisies and roses" messages, I think Christians should proclaim this message ad infinitum: "If you believe, you will be saved...but that's just the first step. It's a long journey after that. It won't always be easy; It won't always be happy. But the Church is designed to help us travel this narrow path together. For better or worse, it will be an adventure. And it will be worth it."

--Thanks for Reading

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Tyler-
I just started my own blog (just to let you know).
your articles in this series have been making me think. I've enjoyed them.
My comment is on your idea that some Christians might be trying to avoid or avoiding otherwise. I find that I, and possibly others, find that they can't help but give their lives to something--religion, politics, environmental efforts, drugs, whatever. I've tried a few things myself. Christ seemed the last thing on my list that I wanted to give my energy to. Christians seemed incomplete and naive with their statements about believing and having a sure-fire guarantee to life eternal in heaven.
I still think that those who "believe" and do nothing else haven't yet begun to believe. I don't mean to say that I've got it all figured out and that I'm batting 1000 since I've started believing in Christ. Could it be that one of the ways we can "test" for Christianity is the level of involvement? Level of loving God and loving others (probably requiring a degree of action)?

I hope all is going well for you and Barbie. Feel completely free to read my blogs as they are published. the address is davidmui.blogspot.com

Tyler Charles said...

David,

I think you're exactly right: people want to "give their lives to something." In some cases, we give our lives to many things because we haven't found the one thing that satisfies, the one thing that feels completely worthwhile. Namely, Jesus.

I'm glad you told me that Christians used to seem incomplete and naive. Since I was raised in the church, I never had the opportunity to see Christianity from the outside, so to speak. So when I try to think about what non-Christians think, I'm forced to speculate.

As for "testing" the faith of others. I wouldn't want that to become a means of measuring who is most Godly, or anything like that. The word "test" doesn't sit well with me. But I do think there's truth in what you're saying: those who have truly found Christ will undergo a change. C.S. Lewis, in one of his books, wrote about how a truly horrible person could become a Christian and become better, but they might still seem like a brute. Whereas a very nice, likable person (even someone active in many good causes) might have no relationship with Christ at all. So this is part of the reason a "test" is unwise.

But yes, action is important. It's that whole "faith and works" combination.

Barbie and I are doing well. We're engaged now, by the way. And I will be checking out your blog. I will probably subscribe to your RSS feed (atom) so it will tell me whenever you update.

Thanks for reading and commenting, David.

Kyle A. Weller said...

From my personal experience it seems that those of us who were raised in the church are maybe more prone to wander than others, because we are naive about how others live. We have to "test the waters" for ourselves and see what we're missing (or not - depending on how you look at it). For me I know I had to "break away from the religion of my parents" and discover Christ on my own. I put that last part in quotations because that's a whole different and amazing story in itself.

Anyway, I enjoyed the series and look forward to more.

Tyler Charles said...

Kyle,

I agree with what you said about needing to find Christ for ourselves. Very true. And I would like to hear your "different and amazing" story.

As for those raised in a church being more prone to "test the waters," I'd suggest that testing the water is different than diving off the boat.

While "testing the waters" might not be right or wise, those raised in the church, those who know Jesus, at least have an understanding about how to get out of the water (Christian faith, church, etc.).

Sticking with the analogy... I think those who don't know Jesus, and those who were not raised in the church, are more likely to flail and flounder in these "waters," unsure of where to go or how to get out.

That's why I'm so thankful for my parents and how they raised me. I had to find my own faith, but without their examples in my life, I might still be flailing in the water. Or sinking.