Thursday, June 28, 2007

Well said

This will be my last post on the Christianity/Islam conversation...at least for awhile. And I'll keep this one short.

In the July issue of Christianity Today (one of the benefits of being employed by Christianity Today is having the opportunity to read their issues
earlier than the general public...), Philip Yancey's column on the final page is called, "It's Not About the Crusades," and not so surprisingly, he summed up the current Christianity/Islam situation better than I could.



His final paragraph says this:

"Christians and Muslims face opposite challenges. We in the West have something to learn from cultures that do not push religion to the margins, that see faith as affecting all of life, and that look to religious leaders for guidance on societal and ethical issues. Meanwhile, Islamic nations have something to learn from the Christian West, which has found liberal democracy to be the best way to protect minorities' rights as nations become increasingly multicultural. Not to learn those lessons leads to disaster, as is playing out in the 'clash of civilizations' right now."


So apparently Philip Yancey thinks Christians could learn something from Muslims, too. (I wonder if he's been reading my blog...) His suggestion that Christians could learn something from Muslims who see "faith as affecting all of life" really got my attention. How many Christians, myself included, see faith in this way?

What would it take to make us change? Less television? Less time on the internet? Less time thinking about what we want, what we like, what we plan to buy, what we wish we could afford, where we'd like to visit, and so on?

I don't know.

But the next time Philip Yancey finds inspiration in my blogs, he could at least give me some credit.

No comments: