Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Underwear, Youtube, and Michael Jordan

Sometimes I try to write things that are intellectually stimulating. Whether it's a book review, an examination of scripture, or a mildly profound pondering, I like to think, examine, and learn.

But I also like to laugh...

And the new Hanes' commercials featuring Cuba Gooding Jr. and Michael Jordan make me laugh.

If you know me, you are probably aware of my appreciation (okay, fine: my love) for Michael Jordan. That appreciation/love is part of the reason I think these commercials are so funny. But even if Michael Jordan hasn't been your hero for 16 years, I think you'll still enjoy them.

I've only seen one of these aired on television...but that could be because I don't watch TV all that often.

Anyway, I hope you like them:

(Disclaimer: I'm linking to these commercials on YouTube, and YouTube videos become unavailable if they are removed for any reason. So if the links stop working, it was beyond my control.)


Commercial 1

Commercial 2

Commercial 3


And while I'm talking about commercials and youtube videos, I would be remiss not to mention that my friend Steve and I created our own commercial for part of a Heinz ketchup commercial contest.

The contest hasn't officially begun yet, but over 1700 entries are already viewable on YouTube (where else?).

Of course Steve and I would love to win the $57,000 first prize, or even the $5700 given to second through fifth place. But if we don't even make the top 15 (which is selected by a panel of judges before the two-week voting period can begin), we still had fun making the video.

It's not as good as the Hanes' spots featuring Michael Jordan, but hey, no one compares to MJ.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

Steve n' Tyler's Heinz Commercial

--Thanks for reading...and watching

1 comment:

mada6 said...

When I was in the fifth grade or around the time I first met you, I recall your obsession with Michael Jordan. Personally, I was going through a transition from being the tool with the socks that matched my outfits (thanks to my sadistic mother) to one of the "in" crowd. From my recollections, you were always a part of that crowd of which I desired to be engaged with. So, from what, at the time, was ostesibly evident: If you liked Mike, people liked you. So I read a biography on the guy, which I do not believe I finished, and still could not, in truth, make a connection. So I gave up and watched you.. In the meantime, as great of athelete Michael Jordan is, we were all exposed to some of his foibles. Such as his dismal acting performance in Space Jam (which had a sweet soundtrack) and his sub-par baseball capabilities. Now, I will admit, that there is a lot of merit due in his noble intention, but these things would disqualify him from being MY hero. (I am just being straight here)

Now your commercial, my friend, deserves the 57k! I watched it at about 3am last night and laughed to tears. I do not know the weight of my opinion in terms of your reception of it, but it was excellent. The only criticism I have to offer, is why waste such a nice shirt on ketchup? I hate ketchup! But love glass bottles. Au Revoir!